Expert Consulting & Research
I work as a consultant for corporations, social enterprises, and non-profits on projects concerning menstruation and menopause.
- Extensive knowledge and experience.
- Advanced research skills.
- A team of researchers when necessary.
- An international network of contacts in the field.
I have considerable experience across a broad spectrum of projects, including:
- Menstrual hygiene management (MHM) in developing countries and contexts.
- Menstrual products.
- Menstrual healthcare and wellbeing research and programs, with knowledge of both conventional and traditional (indigenous) medical systems and beliefs.
- Education and empowerment programs for schools, businesses, and women’s advocacy organisations.
- Research and editing for books, documentary film and other media.
Workplace Wellbeing Programs & Policies
I consult with organisations to design menstrual and menopausal wellbeing policies and/or clarify existing leave and flexitime policies, and deliver training workshops for staff and management.
Menstruation and menopause can be significant factors in women’s workplace wellbeing and career path decisions, but have historically been considered unmentionable, embarrassing or just too difficult to deal with. Yet in an international survey, 70% of over 3,300 menstruating women felt they needed more work time/place flexibility during their period, a significant number supported by qualitative research. In addition, women report negative experiences related to menstruation and menopause in organisational contexts, including unnecessary levels of discomfort, teasing, debilitating shame, and in some cases, outright trauma.
We can do this so much better. Organisations can thrive from opening up the conversation, acknowledging the realities of menstrual and menopausal experience, training management to engage with this issue sensitively, and developing simple, cost-effective strategies that pay off in terms of employee satisfaction, loyalty and retention. More transparency helps on all sides. Menstrual and menopausal wellbeing programs and policies can assist women to reach their potential, maintain high levels of wellbeing, and stay in work.
For more information, please read my article: Why We Need School And Workplace Policies For Menstruation & Menopause
Lara Owen is a leader in the field of menstrual and menopausal wellbeing. Based in Melbourne, she teaches and consults internationally.